Artist Mission Statement
Heart of a Poet — Eyes of an Artist! I see the world through a lens of creation filtered through my imagination. I am a picture maker that needs to create on an everyday basis in some form or another. My muse is life itself in all its entirety. Small moments inspire me to fill space with words of flow, and memories paint a canvas of creation.
I am a poet and multi-media artist living in the St Croix Valley with my daughter Willow. My poetic writings and artistic touches reflect my Ojibwe heritage along with the ponderings I have being a forty something American woman living with the progression of Multiple Sclerosis. Often, I integrate poetry with my artistic expressions.
Literature was the first creative form that woke my inner need to create. When I was a girl, my imagination would play rewriting the ends of stories and creating new worlds. As a teenager, I feed my creative need through the lens of an old 35. Photography and beading were my main means of expression while, I dabbled in drawing and poetry. Then in college I dove deeper into photography and gained more skill with beads. I took classes in dance and painting. I began to paint with oils and learned a little technique. After school, I continued creatively expressing myself primarily through photography and bead work.
In my early thirties, I returned to the power of words with poetry. I continued creating as pictures formed though lens and brush; eventually, combining them with poetry in one piece. Today, I take my photos with a digital 35 continuing my passion for photography and adding another layer with digital art. I paint, bead, weave dreamcatchers, sew creations, and do crafts of all sorts with many materials. Often, I blend 2 or more forms together into an installation. I usually have at least two projects underway besides my daily need to write poetry. I am a poet and artist expressing my thoughts and perceptions as they grow from ideas into poems and visual creations.
click Here for published book information
Current book projects:
-I have finished my first full length poetry manuscript, Spirit Songs. Stay tuned for updates.
-I have finished the new edition of Stumbled & Standing. A full length memoir titled, Still Standing. Currently, I am looking for an agent to represent the book.
the books facebook page
- Birds Nest Reading Series October 2019
- Poetry Happy Hour June 2019
- Poets n Pints
- Literary Lights Reading Series
- Midstream Reading Series
- Entertainment Art Show Reception, Hammond Arts Alliance, 2x 2016, 2017, 2018
- Poetry Slam, Stillwater Junior High event, April 2016
- Blacker the Berry, Mama Mosaic Theatre & Intermedia Arts, November 2014
- Cracked Walnut Reading Series, April-June 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Opening Writer for Nicole Book Launch, December 2013
- Radio”>RadioReading- The Beat- 9/21/2012
- River Maia Urke: incorporating Ojibwe and Celtic heritages Lowdown-interview by local paper 3/2014
- Unstoppable River –Stillwater Gazette- Interview by local paper 1/2013
- 9 o’clock Meltdown – The Beat– WPR Radio Interview
- The Life of a Poet interview by Poets United 12/2010
Made Here Poetry Contest 2013
LOMP 2014 Awards
category #7 Award of Merit; #4 Citation; #3 Citation
Lomp 2015 Awards
Lomp 2016 Awards
Lomp 2017 Awards
I enjoy to participate in Open Mics.
Poetry Blog-A Pocket of Agates